Tuesday, January 21, 2014

'Kandu' days

P.B Shelly should have added to his poem - "And when spring comes, can winter be far behind?"

The notice for mess fees showed up, and I have to pay 14k for all the rice and dal I'm supposed to intake in the next few months. Dad down-voted the plea for allowing the amount exclusive over my recently beefed up expense allowance, and instead, he passed only a 7k over it, of which I had already burned up a 3k on miscellaneous expenses that I have no account of, which leaves me with just enough money for the fees and a 300k for a months expense! This is not going to be a jolly semester!

Back at home I was too sick with Dad being always mad on us, and I finally lost my temper when he went all 'Hitler' on my little sis, and shouted at him. He seemed shocked and hurt at my reaction. Nothing hurt more than hurting him, and I was too dumb to not apologize. I know he is a good man, just a bit off at the moment, tired and burdened down by the responsibilities he is struggling to keep up.

Kandakashani (omen of bad luck and miseries) , whom we call "kandu" with love, doesn't end here. Waking up at 5 or walking all the way to railway station, or waiting four hours in the tatkal queue couldn't get me a confirmed ticket for the journey back to college. I had to book for Biju and Vineesh too, and it seems I was way too optimistic to hope waiting list 34 would secure us seats. The Ayyappa devotees had conquered up every nook and corner of the train, and we enjoyed a door step journey on the S5 compartment of Korba Express, sleepless and muscle cramped, added to the pleasure of having company of a bunch of young north Indian girls, probably here on a tour, who would 'face wash' every alternate stations, and spill water all over and mess up our temporary seat (floor), and would sing along horrible songs aloud. Sleep rescued us for the rest of the night, as we crawled up on the berth we finally managed from Chennai.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;